FAI with pre-release bullseye yielding inconsistent network names

fai1107 at macrotex.net fai1107 at macrotex.net
Tue Jan 19 15:57:26 CET 2021

On 1/19/2021 1:58 AM, Thomas Lange wrote:

>      > I found out that "udevadm trigger" is executed when doing the
>      > inventory but not when doing the installation.
> I found out, that I've added a patch after the release of 5.9.4 which
> tries to get the interface name if udevadm info does not show the
> name. It's this change:
>
> https://github.com/faiproject/fai-config/commit/45a802ca5f0a7cc229edb4cedd1b22ab4f790ba4
>
> Now we have two solutions for this problem. Add the patch above to
> your config space or add a call to udevadm trigger for e.g. in the
> beginning of scripts/DEBIAN/30-interface.

I am already using that patch. The problem seems to be that the altname
returned by "ip link show eth0" in 30-interface is "enp11s0" and hence
that is the filename what 30-network puts into
/etc/network/interfaces.d, but when the new system boots the name in
/sys/class/net is "ens192".

Why is there this mismatch? Is it an issue with bullseye itself?