FAI with pre-release bullseye yielding inconsistent network names

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 19 17:10:50 CET 2021

    > I am already using that patch. The problem seems to be that the altname
    > returned by "ip link show eth0" in 30-interface is "enp11s0" and hence
    > that is the filename what 30-network puts into
    > /etc/network/interfaces.d, but when the new system boots the name in
    > /sys/class/net is "ens192".

    > Why is there this mismatch? Is it an issue with bullseye itself?
udeadm info sometimes show ID_NET_NAME_SLOT and ID_NET_NAME_PATH.
On my bullseye kvm machine is shows

E: ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp0s3
E: ID_NET_NAME_SLOT=ens3

In the 30-interface script we loop over all fields
fields="ID_NET_NAME_FROM_DATABASE ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD ID_NET_NAME_SLOT ID_NET_NAME_PATH"

In /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link there's the order of names
defined:
   NamePolicy=keep kernel database onboard slot path

It's correct to use slot before path.

I guess in your case you should add udevadm trigger, so FAI does not
need the fallback to altname from ip link show which seem to have only the path name.