Questions regarding PACKAGES remove

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Mar 22 09:49:49 CET 2019

Am 21.03.19 um 18:40 schrieb Thomas Lange:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I wonder why you get this error, because apt-get says it does not even
> know this package. If I like to remove a package that's in the
> database I get this output
>
> veedel[~]# apt-get purge moon-buggy
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package 'moon-buggy' is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
>
> Maybe you may have removed some sources.list entries, so apt-get
> complains about unknown packages.

Hello,

your are right, the root of the problem is that these packages have been
removed completely from debian stable. These are XUL style firefox
extensions which are not supported in recent firefox versions anymore.
So the debian maintainers obviously decided, instead of providing a
dummy transitional package, to completely remove them. I have never
before seen a package being removed from stable... So now it looks like
they never existed, even though machines installed earlier still have
them installed.

But this is, hopefully, a special case that will not happen again, so I
will solve this by using a script instead. This is not a bug in FAI.

Thank you for your help.

Andreas