Upgrading pxelinux and nfsroot

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 29 08:16:58 CEST 2019

Hi Merlin,

first, read  the FAI guide. So you get an overview of the concepts of
FAI. You should make a backup of the current nfsroot. I do this using
cp -a /srv/fai/nfsroot /srv/fai/nfsroot-old

Then recreate the nfsroot.
fai-make-nfsroot -fvP
Then check the log output.
For updating the pxelinux version I always copy the following files
from a machine running a newer Debian (currently buster or newer) to
my stretch FAI server.

log into the buster machine:
The copy these files
/usr/lib/syslinux/modules/bios/ldlinux.c32
/usr/lib/PXELINUX/pxelinux.0

You want to use /usr/lib/PXELINUX/lpxelinux.0 instead of pxelinux.0,
because this supports http tranfers.

Put those files into /srv/tftp/fai on your FAI install
server. lpxelinux.0 has to renamed to pxelinux.0

Check if you need to adjust the pxelinux.cfg file, for e.g. if the
kernel version has changed. I create a template the fai-chboot and
then use something like this:

fai-chboot -vc stretch-new.tmpl client07

It hope this helps.