Upgrading pxelinux and nfsroot

CSCI Technician tech at csci.viu.ca
Wed Aug 28 21:17:43 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm very new to FAI and have been doing my best to learn via the
documentation and the little I can find online however I'm stuck...

I have inherited a FAI setup running on Stretch and configured to deploy
Stretch to various clients.  I have no documentation from the previous
person so I'm treading lightly.  The FAI version was 5.3.6 but I have
upgraded it to 5.8.4~bpo9+2 by adding the FAI repo to sources.list and
updating.

I have not run any FAI specific commands yet to update anything else as
I'm unsure as to what options, or commands, to use.
I don't want to change the ssh keys, the passwords, or anything else
that was originally set up using fai-setup and fai-make-nfsroot.

I know I need to update the version of pxelinux used as it will not work
on my new Dell machines.  I have no idea how to do this... perhaps
"fai-setup -e"? What can this break?

I'm not sure if I need to or should rebuild the nfsroot and if so, what
options do I use. Perhaps "fai-make-nfsroot -kv"? What can this break?

Any assistance or pointers to websites would be appreciated.  I believe
I've been through all the online docs and wiki and mailing list archives
but I may have missed something.

Cheers,
Merlin

--