FAI 5.x - Roadmap FAI-CD with UEFI

Bob A bob at phxlab.honeywell.com
Wed Aug 14 19:17:14 CEST 2019

Currently I'm also not sure, if I already have all info how to build an UEFI bootable ISO. Does anyone know a good resource which describes this? For FAI it's important, not to use syslinux but only grub on the ISO.

----------------------------

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM.html

It's not clear to me what will be bootable when using grub-mkrescue. Also, grub-mkrescue seems like a wrapper for grub-mkimage, which you may want to call directly and you can specify a "format": i386-multiboot, i386-pc, i386-efi, x86_64-efi

What I did was created a bootable USB (supported both BIOS/EFI), then copied those files back to a folder named "cdroot". Once I was happy with my lay-out I did:

grub-mkrescue --modules="linux ext2 fshelp ls boot"  -o grub2-boot.iso cdroot/

I also had to add this logic to my grub.cfg:

if [ x"${grub_platform}" = xefi ]; then
  insmod efi_gop
  insmod efi_uga
else