Ubuntu 18.04: netplan support

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Wed Oct 17 15:05:18 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of updating tried-and-trusted FAI 4.2.5 to
5.7.2 and completely reworking the config space in the process, starting
with the examples provided by fai-doc (which, btw, has been quite a
surprisingly pleasant experience so far, as fewer customization is
necessary in order to support different distributions as it was the case
with the ancient 4.2.5 version. Nice!)

Two questions arose so far:

1. Is the 'UBUNTU' class intended to be complementing the 'DEBIAN' class
or does it completely replace the DEBIAN class?

2. Ubuntu 18.04 now uses a different network configuration utility
called 'netplan' [1]. However, I don't see support for that in the
example configspace. So while a Ubuntu Bionic host can be successfully
installed using the 'FAIBASE UBUNTU DEMO' classes, it has no network
connectivity as the netplan configuration is missing from the examples.
Has anybody successfully integrated netplan support yet?

Robert

[1] https://netplan.io