Ubuntu 18.04: netplan support

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 17 16:09:05 CEST 2018

Well, I pulled a Bart Simpson. I tried for about 10 minutes and gave up.

Bakc with Ubuntu 16.04, I tried modifying the old networking script
using the ifclass command. If the UBUNTU class was defined, it generated
a /etc/netplan/10-interfaces file. Otherwise, it ran the old code to
generate a /etc/networking/interfaces file.

I think the reason I couldn't get it to work was because of a bug in
NetworkManager. It looked like NetworkManager would neither make that
interface work nor release it so it could be configured by netplan. This
was a long time ago and my memory is a little fuzzy but I recall typing
in network manager commands to try to get it to stop managing the
interface, it saying it wasn't managing the interface, while at the same
time, a listing of the interfaces it managed showed the interface. Now
that I think about it, I believe I worked on it for way more than 10
minutes because I recall doing a file-by-file comparison of the configs
from a regular Ubuntu install and an FAI install and finding no
difference. The files in /etc were identical yet it worked in a normal
install of Ubuntu but not in the FAI install.

I finally just added ifupdown to the packages installed during an Ubuntu
install. So I've been subverting Ubuntu's normal network config process
for years now. I just don't do it the way Ubuntu would normally do it. I
figure when/if Debian switched to netplan, the FAI developers will
modify FAI to account for it.

Now that you've brought it up though, I might give it another try when I
upgrade all of my workstations to Ubuntu 18.10 during semester break in
January. If I get it to work, I can post a howto here.