Network interface names

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Mon Oct 15 09:36:15 CEST 2018

Hi,

thanks for the responses which may turn out to be helpful in some way (if it's
already too late to get hold of the old-style if names) - during a half-hearted
test, the grub cmdline trick did not work for me.

What still makes me curious is

> > What I still haven't found is which magic FAI uses to avoid the renaming
> > to "predictable network interface names" (a term that's completely misleading
> > to me as I'm unable to predict the network names if I'm given a brand-new
> > machine). Thomas, can you shed some light on this?

If I run FAI sysinfo, I see eth0, ..., wlan0, etc., and dmesg.log doesn't
contain any "renamed to" strings, so this renaming must have been avoided
somehow, and it's the "how" I am still looking for. (I.e., was makes the
NFSROOT special in this respect as it uses the default kernel?)

> > My plan is to read the (old-style) interface names assigned by FAI, then
> > create a $target/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file from that
> > information. Is there a hidden trap? When is it best to write that file?

As long as the un-renamed if names are available witin FAI, it's simple to
create that rules file. The devil may be in the detail when it's required
to exist (I suspect there's some initrd magic?)...

Thanks again,
 Steffen