FAI splash screen / GUI

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Tue Mar 27 23:35:27 CEST 2018

Hello all,

FAI works great and I want unemployed windows users to help installing
computers.
My problem is that "they" are just frightened about text messages in
"that terrible DOS mode". Aaargh.

Is there a way to hide FAI messages during installation and just show
an nice looking image or animation (e.g. just showing the current
task)?
It would be nice (but is not really necessary) when questions during
task defclass could be graphical, too.

Is there anyone using this kind of splash screen / GUI?

I remember years ago someone tried plymouth for FAI (github?/
mailinglist?), but I couldn't find it any more. All I found is a ten
year old message:
https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2008-August/006080.html
and an unanswered question five years ago:
https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2013-December/010255.htm

Fbi / fim looks nice, too. It's for framebuffer devices but it seems
to be not that stable.

IIRC debian-installer uses gtk+ with directfb / X11.

Any ideas /suggestions on that topic?

Christian