regarding centos6 installation

Antanas Masevičius antanas.masevicius at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:11:15 CEST 2018

Hello,

I have been using fai for some time already. Installing centos 7 and debian
9 without any major issues. Problem came up when I tried to run Centos 6.

Does anyone from the list successfully  performed installation of Centos6
with fai recently?

Tried reinstalling fai server completely with config taken from examples. I
run server on Debian 9 distribution.

Most noticeable failure i get from shell.log:

CENTOS/30-mkinitrd   FAILED with exit code 1.
=====   shell: CENTOS/40-install-grub   =====

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename.]
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 14t: Filesystem compatibility error, cannot read whole file
grub> quit

Grub installed on /dev/sda = (hd0)
Grub boot partition is /dev/sda1 = (hd0,0)
Root partition is LABEL=ROOT
Boot kernel: 2.6.32-754.2.1.el6.x86_64

It looks like grub does not recognise ext4 fs. I don't get this error if I
set ext3 in disk_config, but I would like to use ext4.

My disk layout:

disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos bootable:1 fstabkey:label

primary /      4G-50G    ext4  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro createopts="-L
ROOT"
logical swap   200-10G  swap  sw                           createopts="-L
SWAP"
logical /tmp   100-5G   ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev      createopts="-L
TMP -m 0" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical /home  100-     ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev      createopts="-L
HOME -m 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"

My soft version:

p dracut                    047+31-1
p dracut-config-generic     047+31-1