Provisioning Docker Containers with FAI

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Nov 7 21:42:31 CET 2017

    > I'm able to install the FAI server in a Docker container without
    > any problems.
Great to hear that this works.

    > Unfortunately I don't see any way to use a
    > Docker container as an FAI installation client, because FAI seems to rely on using PXE and Docker containers don't have a
    > full boot process (and in particular don't have a BIOS).

    > Is there any way to work around this? Are there any alternatives I should consider?
I guess docker containers do not have a boot loader like grub and do
not need a separated kernel for each container. Have a look at fai
dirinstall. This will do the installation process into a directory,
like building a chroot environment. I guess this is what you need for
docker.