Provisioning Docker Containers with FAI

Itamar Gal itamarggal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 00:20:19 CET 2017

Hey Thomas,

Thank you for the response. The dirinstall option sounds promising, but I
can't seem to get it to work. I'm on a VM which I've configured by
following the instructions in the "Setup your faiserver" section of the FAI
Guide:

    https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_setup_a_setup_your_faiserver

And now I'm looking at the section on chroot environments:

https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_dirinstall_a_creating_chroot_and_virtualization_environments

I'm running variations of the following command:

    sudo fai -v -s /etc/fai -c FAIBASE /tmp/test

And I'm getting output that looks something like this (different variations
of the command produce different error messages):

                       Fully Automatic Installation  -  FAI

                       4.3.1+deb8u1   (c) 1999-2015
                   Thomas Lange  <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>
    Starting FAI execution - 20171108_111217

    Using configuration files from /etc/fai
    Calling task_confdir
    FAI_FLAGS:
    Setting SERVER=. Value extracted from FAI_CONFIG_SRC.
    No monitor daemon defined.
    FAI_CONFIG_SRC is set to /etc/fai
    Error in get-config-dir: scheme undefined.
    Problems accessing the config space.
    $LOGSERVER is undefined. Not saving log files to remote.

I don't suppose you could set me straight on what I'm doing wrong here? I
apologize if what I'm doing doesn't make any sense; I've only just started
trying to learn how to use FAI. Any guidance or advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Itamar