how does FAI know how to run debootstrap?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jun 30 16:48:34 CEST 2015

    > During the install, FAI runs debootstrap. I am trying to install ubuntu
    > vivid. It's stopping at the point where it tries to run debootstrap with
    > the message  "undefined. Aborting".
Hi John,

FAI normally does not run debootstrap during installation. Instead it
uses /var/tmp/base.tar.xz and extracts this.
If you have a Debian nfsroot and want to install ubuntu, you should
put a ubuntu base.tar.xz into your config space into the subdirectory
basefiles. Extracting this base file is much faster than calling
debootstrap.

If FAI does not find a base file. it calls debootstrap. Therefore it
uses the variable FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP.
I think you found a bug. Since we do not copy /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf
into the nfsroot any more, this variable is not defined. It was in the
past.

So, if you just copy this file into the nfsroot, it should work again.
But maybe you want to create a VIVID.tar.xz and put this into your
config space.