Recommendations regarding Debian Jessie and systemd?

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Fri Jun 19 11:10:42 CEST 2015

Hi Dirk

I'm also running several jessie-clients now without serious problems,
I'm using dracut too.

I dont see any "systemd-tmpfiles" messages in my syslogs.

Just a question: are you trying to use "pure" systemd or both systemd
and sys-v-init together?
As far as I know, standard jessie uses both together (and so do I),
because there are maybe some services which still require sys-v-init.

I've installed the following systemd/sys-v-init related packages:

systemd
systemd-sysv
sysv-rc
sysv-rc-conf
sysvinit
sysvinit-utils

Regards
René

PS: here some hints for two annoying but not serious jessie-issues which
I encountered:

  * by default, shutdown/reboot seems not to be possible from within
    user-sessions (root-only)
      o => one needs to edit
        "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.login1.policy" (set
        allow_any/allow_inactive/allow_active) to yes in the
        "org.freedesktop.login1.power-off..." and
        "org.freedesktop.login1.reboot..." sections )
  * If I shutdown/reboot from within a ssh-session, the ssh-session are
    not cleanly terminated but stay hanging (see
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751636 ) - even
    CTRL-C or CTRL-D wont kill the session, I only can do it by closing
    the terminal
      o => I use the workaround which Tom Hutter is recommending
        (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751636#20),
        where a "ssh-user-sessions.service" job is started which
        executes a "killall ssh" before shutdown. Its not really a nice
        thing, but at least the sessions dont hang anymore