Recommendations regarding Debian Jessie and systemd?

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Fri Jun 19 10:35:01 CEST 2015

Hi Thomas,

> > Any suggestions, ideas, workable solutions, ...?
> Why don't you just remove the fstab entry for /run?

systemd creates it, if it is not part of fstab...

Then this service

   systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service

creates the needed files, e.g. for ssh it uses:

   /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/sshd.conf

Which defines:

   d /var/run/sshd 0755 root root

So this directory gets created and ssh can start. But if /run is still
read-only, it fails...

Probably I can find a work around for this. But it was my first try
with systemd and I had such problems. So I'm curious if I have to
expect more such problems and it would be a better way to stay with
system-v-init...

Last time a reboot did not work, the network was canceled, the conosole
still showed the login prompt but did not react on input. A hard-reboot
resultet in fsck-runs and again / was rw mounted after
systemd-tmpfiles-setupSo this directory gets created and ssh can start.
[...]

Last time a reboot did not work, the network was canceled, the console
still showed the login prompt but did not react on input. A hard-reboot
resultet in fsck-runs and again / was rw mounted after systemd tried to
fill /run...

Per default the journallog is on /run, so gone after a reboot. One more
point, one should take care of via FAI and create a /var/log/journal
directory. It's not really a problem, one has to have it in mind.

But maybe someone has it all together, what has to be done in order
to work effectively with systemd.

Best regards

Dirk