[SOLVED] Re: FAI scp problem writing logfiles

Andreas Sindermann sinder at thp.uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 24 14:42:39 CEST 2015

Tobias Unsleber writes:
 > Hi Andreas,
 >
 > after checking Holger's advice you may test this too:
 >
 > a) Check the system/auth log files of the fai-server regarding any
 > ssh-authentication issues(e. g. authorizedkeys file world writable....)
 >
 > b) Check to ssh from the installed client (When the client machine waiting
 > is waiting for <Return> to reboot)  to the faiserver using the fai LOGUSER
 >
 > c) check the local fai-logs at the waiting client (/var/log/fai I think)

Simple solution:

For whatever reasons the fai account on the faiserver was not
owned by user LOGUSER but instead by root (althought the
~LOGUSER/.ssh directory was correctly owned by LOGUSER).

Of course this leads to permission issues when trying to
remotely fai-chboot on  or to scp files to the faiserver.

By chown'ing the home directory to LOGUSER everything now
works fine:

root at faiserver:~# ls -ld ~fai
drwxr-xr-x 4 fai root 4096 Aug 24 14:35 /var/log/fai

This happened with version:

root at faiserver:~# apt-cache showpkg fai-server
Package: fai-server
Versions:
3.4.8ubuntu5 (/var/lib/apt/lists/de.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)

Thanks for your hints and best wishes
Andreas