multiarch issue with FAI

Andreas Sindermann sinder at thp.uni-koeln.de
Wed Aug 26 14:00:48 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I'm trying to install a 64-bit Ubuntu Linux. To be able to use
acroread and other 32-bit software I'm trying to setup a
multi arch environment using a fai hook to install
the i386 specific libraries:

root at faiserver:/srv/fai/config/hooks# cat updatebase.AMD64
#!/bin/bash
echo Adding i386 multi-arch
$ROOTCMD dpkg --add-architecture i386

root at faiserver:/srv/fai/config/package_config# cat AMD64
PACKAGES aptitude
libgtk2.0-0:i386
libnss3-1d:i386
libnspr4-0d:i386
lib32nss-mdns*
libxml2:i386
libxslt1.1:i386
libstdc++6:i386

Unfortunately during the fai installation process the hook is
executed at a very early stage so that the dpkg package is
not yet installed on the client.  In the end the i386 packages
mentioned above are not installed:

[... fai.log ...]
Calling task_prepareapt
Calling hook: updatebase.AMD64
Adding i386 multi-arch
updatebase.AMD64     OK.
Calling task_updatebase
Updating base
/target/usr/sbin/dpkg-divert not available. Skipping.
/target/usr/sbin/dpkg-divert not available. Skipping.
[...]

Of course I simply could introduce a script in the fai
scripts-directory, which would be executed at the end of
the installation but on the tips'n tricks web page the
solution with the hook is presented:

http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Tips_and_tricks

So I'm wondering whether there would be a more convenient
solution...

Thanks and best wishes
Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas Sindermann               fon: +49 (221) 470-4201
Institut fuer Theoretische Physik    fax: +49 (221) 470-5159