Ubuntu Wiki Page

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at cs.fau.de
Thu Nov 13 14:33:04 CET 2014

Hey there,

I'm currently looking into improving FAI's Ubuntu support. My plan it to
make the wiki page more or less redundant. Bacause I'm no FAI-expert,
I'd like to have some feedback from others (also the FAI-Infrastructur I
inherited is quite far away from the example). Especially what parts of
that page can be removed or what must be done in the repo to remove
them. I start with the configuration space, as this is probably the
easiest part:
http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_Linux_with_FAI#Modifying_the_FAI_configuration_space

**** Confusing
---------- snip
Before continuing, a new custom class shall be introduced:
OS_UBUNTU_1404_AMD64. This class tells FAI to install:

    Ubuntu as OS
    Version 14.04 of this OS
    AMD64 (64-Bit) as the desired architecture.
---------- snip
I think this is confusing as it's an arbitrary sting and tells FAI
nothing. It's rather a suggestion of best practice.

**** sources.list
There must be better way of doing this, than copying this. Any Idea. How
is the situation in debian? Would be adding sources.list/codename to the
example be a solution?

**** sources.d
I think using the launchpad PPA and calling add-apt-repository is the
better solution here. Any comments?

**** /srv/fai/config/package_config/UBUNTU
Is that GRUB_PC stuff still necessary? I think that can be safely remove

**** network/interfaces
Again, there most be a better way of doing this. Or why isn't this an
issue for debian?

**** hostname + root-user
I think this should go into the official example.

**** home/log
What is the reason for the "fcopy -ir /home/loc"?

That's it for now.

Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Strübe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at cs.fau.de
WWW   : https://www4.cs.fau.de/~morty