fai-mirror and conflicting packages

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Fri Jun 20 13:39:57 CEST 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-20 at 13:09 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > Perhaps you have an idea how to do this better than manually seeking
>     > through the list and try to find out the really needed packages?
> I do not know a tools for that. But using apt-cache (depends and
> rdepends) and apt-rdepends should help creating a small programm for
> that task. Ask on #debian-devel if someone already did that.
>
> I would remove the whole package list, and add every package you like to have
> on this machine manually.

While this does not solve your problem, it may be useful for planning
future work. This is my regular way of keeping package lists up to date:

You start with some rather minimal package list (Debian's "task
standard" packages are a good place to start). You install a machine and
use it for your own daily work. Any time you find a package missing, you
install it manually and immediately add it to the FAI package list
(perhaps in a specific class, if it is not useful for all your
configurations). Also when other users request additional packages, you
add them to the appropriate list for FAI.

The Debian standard package list can be obtained with:

aptitude search ~pstandard ~prequired ~pimportant

You may add the "desktop" group by installing the "task-desktop"
package, or manually sorting through its dependencies.

Toomas