Ubuntu 14.04 host: kernel panic

Stephen Jahl stephenjahl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:28:50 CEST 2014

> We need someone how can test newer FAI version on Ubuntu. If you could
>  give FAI 4.2 a try on an Ubuntu server and install Ubuntu
> 14.04 using it, that would be great. There's also a testing PPA
> which includes FAI 4.1.1. Even testing this version would help us.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~fai/+archive/testing/
>
> Please report any success or problems to this list.

For what it's worth, I've had pretty good success installing 14.04 clients
from a 12.04 server using the 4.1.1 testing PPA (the nfsroot is
14.04-based, with the default Ubuntu 3.13 kernel). I'm using a live-boot
setup since the dracut packages seemed to be broken in 14.04 when I built
the packages for the testing PPA.

I haven't had a chance to upgrade the FAI server to 14.04 since it's in
production, but I'll try to report back here after I try that.

I initially had trouble with 14.04 nfsroots on FAI 3.4.8 since some system
utilities had been moved/renamed (dpkg-divert comes to mind) -- but it's
been pretty smooth sailing since installing 4.1.1.