Problem booting clients in FAI 4.0.8~deb7u1

Marc SCHAEFER alphanet-linux-fai at alphanet.ch
Tue Jun 17 17:22:12 CEST 2014

Hi,

I just upgraded a FAI server from squeeze to wheezy, and I am also trying
to get the client machines installed with FAI (amd64 wheezy, for a start).
It has worked perfectly for the last two years or so (squeeze), installing
16 clients (desktops), and also 18 embedded alix.

There used to be a fai-kernels package, but this is now suppressed according
to the changelog.

I tried to simply copy /boot/{vmlinuz,initrd}* to /srv/tftp/fai from a
manually installed wheezy desktop, then run a `fai-chboot -IFv poste-401'
and I get this pxelinux.cfg/... file:

   # generated by fai-chboot for host poste-401 with IP 192.168.42.41
   default fai-generated

   label fai-generated
   kernel vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
   append initrd=initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot-amd64 aufs  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install

However, this fails in a number of varying ways, because just after kernel+initrd
initialization:

a) it asks my runlevel, and then hangs (INIT: ...)

b) if I add boot=live option manually, it fails looking for scripts/live
   and then the kernel panics.

NFS mounts ok apparently, the nfsroot was regenerated with the new
packages, but misses a scripts directory.

Is that a kernel+initrd problem, or more likely a nfsroot generation problem ?

Thank you for any pointers!

---nfsroot.conf-----------------------------------------
# For a detailed description see nfsroot.conf(5)

# "<suite> <mirror>" for debootstrap
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="wheezy http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/"
FAI_ROOTPW='$1$kBnWcO.E$djxB128U7dMkrltJHPf6d1'

#NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot
NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot-amd64
TFTPROOT=/srv/tftp/fai
NFSROOT_HOOKS=/etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/
#FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=info"
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=info --arch amd64"

# Configuration space
FAI_CONFIGDIR=/srv/fai/config

#APT_CONFIG not configured

---NFSROOT-----------------------------------------------
# package list for creating the NFSROOT

PACKAGES aptitude
nfs-common fai-nfsroot module-init-tools ssh rdate lshw rpcbind
rsync lftp less dump reiserfsprogs e2fsprogs usbutils
hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2
dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools xfsprogs xfsdump
procinfo numactl dialog
console-tools console-common
iproute udev subversion
xz-utils
cupt

# some network cards needs firmware
firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-realtek

# dracut can replace live-boot
dracut-network live-boot- live-boot-initramfs-tools-

# squeeze also needs initramfs-tools, even with dracut
#initramfs-tools

# choose if you like live-boot or dracut inside the nfsroot
#live-boot live-boot-doc

# you should not edit the lines below
# architecture dependend list of packages that are installed

#git # git consumes a lot of disk space on the FAI CD (ISO 9660)

PACKAGES aptitude I386
grub-pc read-edid
linux-image-686

# packages for Ubuntu natty/oneiric/precise:
# linux-image-generic live-boot

PACKAGES aptitude AMD64
grub-pc
linux-image-amd64

# packages for Ubuntu natty/oneiric/precise:
# linux-image-generic live-boot

---live.conf---------------------------------------------
# /etc/live.conf - configuration file for live-initramfs(7)

export BUILD_SYSTEM="Debian"

export UNIONTYPE="aufs"
export NOAUTOLOGIN="Yes"
export NOFASTBOOT="Yes"