Ubuntu 14.04 host: kernel panic

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 13 10:14:49 CEST 2014

    > I'm using FAI quite a lot mainly installing Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu
    > 12.04-based servers and hosts. The FAI server itself is currently an
    > Ubuntu 12.04-based machine.
That sounds interesting. Did you ever fill out the FAI questionnaire?
I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI.
Please fill out http://fai-project.org/questionnaire

    > Now I tried installing Ubuntu 14.04 using FAI.
This is much more interesting. I like to help as much as I can for
making this work, since a lot of people like to use FAI on Ubuntu and
I did not get any feedback about running FAI with the newest Ubuntu
version.

First question: Which FAI version are you using?

    > first reboot of the newly installed host, I get an ugly kernel panic:

    > <snip>
    > [...]
    > EXT4-fs (vda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    > Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
    > Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
OK, you are using initramfs-tools and not dracut. But that's fine for
Ubuntu.

    > But if I switch to the 14.04 base.tgz image, using the otherwise the
    > same config [1] and the same disk layout [3] (using LVM), the kernel
    > chickens out.
For installing Ubuntu 14.04, you are using the Ubuntu 12.04 nfsroot? Is
that right?

Please try to do an Ubuntu 14.04 installation without lvm, but just a
plain simple disk layout. That way, you can make sure if lvm or
something different causes the problem.

BTW, we can also switch to #fai on irc for faster help.