Ubuntu 14.04 host: kernel panic

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Sat Jun 14 23:29:30 CEST 2014

Hi Toomas, Thomas,

On Fri, 2014-06-13 at 09:33 +0200, Toomas Tamm wrote:
> Try adding "rdshell rdinitdebug rd.debug" to the kernel command line.
> Makes the booting slow and produces enormous amount of output (at least
> under Debian) but may help to pinpoint the part of booting process where
> the error occurs.
>
> In the past, for debugging of initrd problems, I have also created
> custom initrd's with additional debug statements added to the various
> shell scripts. I do not remember the details, but there should be guides
> on the net on how to create your own initrd.

thank you very much for your input. I've found the culprit - the Ubuntu
14.04 pbuilder package still uses the 'saucy' distribution tag by
default due to a bug [1]. Once I set the 'DISTRIBUTION' option in
/usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc of the build machine from 'saucy' to
'trusty' and run the pbuilder process again, everything works!

So... happily installing Ubuntu 14.04 using FAI now!

Cheers,

Robert

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pbuilder/+bug/1316423