grub install error with root on LVM

Aaron Hall aaron.hall at washburn.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:49:16 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 05:51:04PM +0200, Kerim Güney wrote:

> we're aware of this and we believe that it's a grub bug. I would link
> you to it, but I can't find it at the moment; Thomas Lange had shown
> it to me two weeks ago.
>
> Anyhow, as you mentioned setting up grub works, despite setup-storage
> returning an error towards the end of the installation.

It works only if I do run "grub-install /dev/sda" after FAI completes
and before reboot. If I allow the system to reboot directly after FAI
completes, it never brings up the bootloader and will not boot. (This is
all in testing, of course.)

> We'll try to fix this false flag error but in the meanwhile I suggest
> that you test your grub configs by manually running grub setup in
> /target on one of your machines and then during your deployment to
> your cluster, simply ignore the error returned by GRUB_PC/10-setup.

I don't understand what you're asking. grub-setup instead of
grub-install? Also, we're letting FAI create the grub config (I presume
this is done by setup-storage, or based on disk_config? I still don't
understand quite how that all works.)

FWIW, we aren't deploying a cluster, just single servers as needed. FAI
is a good way to ensure a quick, consistent installation.

Thanks for the help, both from you and Thomas.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall <aaron.hall at washburn.edu>
Asst. Systems & Network Administrator