grub install error with root on LVM

Kerim Güney kgueney at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jul 31 17:51:04 CEST 2014

On 07/31/2014 03:44 PM, Aaron Hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're trying to use FAI to install Debian servers with all partitions,
> including root, on LVM. The GRUB_PC/10-setup script fails. I added
> "bash -x" and I get the following in error.log:
>
>    fai.log:GRUB_PC/10-setup     FAILED with exit code 1.
>    shell.log:+ trap 'error=$(($?>$error?$?:$error))' ERR
>    shell.log:grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/VolGroup00/LVroot.  Check your device.map.
>    shell.log:++ error=1
>    shell.log:++ error=1
>    shell.log:cat: /boot/grub/video.lst: No such file or directory
>    shell.log:GRUB_PC/10-setup     FAILED with exit code 1.
>
> But if after this error, I go into a shell and "chroot /target", I can
> run "grub-install /dev/sda" and that works: the installed system boots
> fine off the LVM. If we set up root or /boot as a traditional physical
> partition, this does not happen.
Hello Aaron,

we're aware of this and we believe that it's a grub bug. I would link
you to it, but I can't find it at the moment; Thomas Lange had shown it
to me two weeks ago.

Anyhow, as you mentioned setting up grub works, despite setup-storage
returning an error towards the end of the installation.

We'll try to fix this false flag error but in the meanwhile I suggest
that you test your grub configs by manually running grub setup in
/target on one of your machines and then during your deployment to your
cluster, simply ignore the error returned by GRUB_PC/10-setup.

If you should experience a critical issue due to the whole thing, please
let us know.

Best Regards
Kerim