FAI - server logging + FAI Ubuntu Trusty

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Jul 21 10:39:09 CEST 2014

>>>>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:25:51 +0200, René Bleisch <accounts at climate.unibe.ch> said:

    > I had quite some problems to solve:
    > - I had to chmod  /srv/tftp/fai_ubuntu/initrd... from "-rw------"- to "-rw-r--r--" (seems to be a known problem)
I;m windering why you need this. in fai-make-nfsroot the script does
chmod a+r $NFSROOT/boot/initrd.img-*
which sets the permissions correctly.

    > - unfortunately I had to replace dracut with liveboot (there seem to be some already known incompatibility issues between dracut and initramfs on ubuntu)
Do you have more details on this? I'm interested in why the new dracut
from Debian does not work in a Ubuntu nfsroot.

    > However because the FAI-version used on ubuntu seems to be quite
    > old (3.4.8
You should not use any 3.X version of FAI these days.

    > Just a final question: can I use the "http://fai-project.org/download" also for Ubuntu 14.04/trusty? (I remember having heard something in former e-mails)
Yes, give it a try.
Someone posted on this list that the version 4.1.1 from
https://launchpad.net/~fai/+archive/ubuntu/testing works, so I guess
FAI 4.2.1 from the fai-project repository should also work.