FAI - server logging + FAI Ubuntu Trusty

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 8 16:25:51 CEST 2014

Hi Thomas,
yes, I thought that it is required or at least better to have a matching
nfsroot (wheezy nfsroot for wheezy, ubuntu nfsroot for ubuntu).
Maybe this is not really the case...

Just now I suceeded to start the first FAI-installation using a
Ubuntu/Trusty nfsroot.

I had quite some problems to solve:
- I had to chmod  /srv/tftp/fai_ubuntu/initrd... from "-rw------"- to
"-rw-r--r--" (seems to be a known problem)
- unfortunately I had to replace dracut with liveboot (there seem to be
some already known incompatibility issues between dracut and initramfs
on ubuntu)
- I had to adapt the PXE-config file like this: (to be able to boot into
nfsroot)
------------
# generated by fai-chboot for host ... with IP ...
default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-3.13.0-30-generic
append initrd=initrd.img-3.13.0-30-generic ip=dhcp
*nfsroot=130.92.143.73:/srv/fai/nfsroot_ubuntu* boot=live *netboot=nfs*
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://phkup26/srv/fai/config_ubuntu FAI_ACTION=install
-------------

Now my installation fails when it tries to extract the base file, which
is in my case $NFSROOT/var/tmp/base.tar.xz instead of
$NFSROOT/var/tmp/base.tgz (to be detected by task_extrbase).
Ill maybe try to convert it.

However because the FAI-version used on ubuntu seems to be quite old
(3.4.8. , I had even to change the DISK configuration back to old format
:-( ), I fear that there will be a whole bunch more of problems due to
FAI backwards-compatibility issues, as I used my wheezy config-files as
a base.

=>
Probably I 'll better try to use the wheezy nfs-root also for Ubuntu,
allowing me to use dracut and an actual fai version

Just a final question: can I use the "http://fai-project.org/download"
also for Ubuntu 14.04/trusty? (I remember having heard something in
former e-mails)

Regards
René