FAI - server logging

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Jul 7 14:48:17 CEST 2014

On Monday 07 July 2014 11:05:11 René Bleisch wrote:
> I already have a FAI-server for my workstations (wheezy). Now I'm trying
> to setup an additional FAI-server for my servers (Ubuntu Trusty).

Why do you want to set up 2 different servers in the first place? To create the
matching nfsroot to install a matching OS?

There's actually nothing that prevents you from installing OS 'abc' from an
nfsroot with OS 'def'. It's not the default and there are some assumptions in
FAI that need to be circumvented (like copying sources.list from the nfsroot
to the newly installed OS.)

There's not even a need to have a separate 32 and 64bit nfsroots as long as
the client is able to boot a 64bit OS.

You may run into problems if the nfsroot's debootstrap is unable to create the
target OS base install, but that can be avoided by preparing a suitable
"base.tgz" (it's just the tarred debootstrap result). [Btw. using suitable a
base image makes it possible to install RedHat and SuSE via FAI.]

bye
thomas