FAI - server logging

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Mon Jul 7 11:05:11 CEST 2014

Hi Thomas & Co,
just stumbled over a small issue with logging on a FAI-server:

I already have a FAI-server for my workstations (wheezy). Now I'm trying
to setup an additional FAI-server for my servers (Ubuntu Trusty).
I want to have both servers on the same machine, but with separate setup
and setup-directories (nfsroot, config, tftp and log directories).
This should not be a problem, as one can invoke "fai-setup" with -C
<confdir> option.
Hence I created a new directory "/etc/fai_ubuntu" with adapted
configuration files.

As far as good, "fai-setup" seems to use the separate directories which
I defined.
However, the make-nfsroot logfile still goes to /var/log/fai instead of
/var/log/fai_ubuntu (messing up the make-nfsroot log-file from my
wheezy-server ...).

A short check of the fai-make-nfsroot function reveals that the logfile
path is "hard coded" there as "| tee -a /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log".
(hence I guess LOGREMOTEDIR=/var/log/fai_ubuntu only affects logging
from the clients).

I can live/cope with this, but in my opinion its not very elegant ...

My suggestion:
I would propose to define an additional variable LOGDIR=xy in fai.conf
and replace the hard-coded logfile-path in the code with
$LOGDIR/fai-make-nfsroot.log

Regards
René Bleisch

PS: I use fai 4.1 on wheezy