Fai 4.0.1 Compatible with Debian Lenny?

n43w79 n43w79 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 01:17:28 CEST 2012

On 5/25/2012 11:17, Toomas Tamm wrote:

>>      >  Found the latest fai .deb packages here:
>>      >  http://cdn.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/fai/fai-server_4.0.1_all.deb
>>      >  http://cdn.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/fai/fai-doc_4.0.1_all.deb
>>      >  Our internal pxe/samba/nfs/dhcp server is still running lenny.
>>      >  Q1. Is the .deb packages above compatible with lenny?
>> No.
>
> I have deleted the original question, thus may miss the target, but I
> think the newest FAI can co-operate with the lenny pxe, nfs and dhcp
> servers just fine. As long as the FAIhost itself is running a newer
> Debian release, you should not have a need to upgrade the rest of your
> infrastructure yet.
>
> Toomas

Thomas and Toomas: Thanks! Will try it out with lenny with a test
machine. Also received the following from <blacky_tn at fluffbunny.de> to
<linux-fai at uni-koeln.de> but didn't get posted? Quote:

"If you know what you're doing then it's totally possible to have for
instance an outdated SuSE Linux as the pxe/samba/nfs/dhcp server, which
tells the clients to boot a Debian Sid nfsroot, which happily installs
Ubuntu or RedHat distributions. Yes, it's that flexible. Why would
someone do such an insane thing? Don't look at me to closely or I might
have to hurt you. :p

"A1: I don't know.
A2: If you decide to run with differing versions between fai-server,
fai-nfsroot and install client then you need to get familiar with the
fai configspace hooks. At least in fai 3.x there was a strong assumption
that all three software components run on the same OS and some files
(e.g. /etc/apt/sources.list) were copied from the nfsroot to the install
client and could wreak havok if this assumptions was violated. A3: I
don't know, since I don't try to cross-install."