Install config help needed

Steve B. docbop at gmail.com
Fri May 25 02:08:19 CEST 2012

Been trying for a week to get FAI to work on a Ubuntu 12.04 with no
success.   I have been testing both a physical and virtual target and same
results. I have FAI 3.4.8 installed.

I get a couple errors running fai-setup that are numeric 65280 but can't
find a description of that error.  It occurs after text.. "Writing Extended
State information.. , Reading task description.... after that a bunch of
configure errors.  The ends with ERROR: live-initranfs was not installed.

Then if I try to do and install pxe loads then a lot of text flies by and
then see....
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done
Begin: Mount root file system ... /init: .: line 249: can't open
'scripts/live'

Then a stack dump with what I see others report Kernel panic - not syncing:
Attempt to kill init!

So I've been reading everything I can and purged and re-installed and no
difference.

Can you point to some info or tell me what to fix.

Would switching to a different distro help like Debian and if so which one
do you recommend.

Thanks for you help

Steve B.