Install config help needed

Jurrie Overgoor jurrie at stillus.nl
Fri May 25 08:59:33 CEST 2012

Op 25-5-2012 2:08, Steve B. schreef:
> Been trying for a week to get FAI to work on a Ubuntu 12.04 with no
> success.   I have been testing both a physical and virtual target and
> same results. I have FAI 3.4.8 installed.
>
> I get a couple errors running fai-setup that are numeric 65280 but
> can't find a description of that error.  It occurs after text..
> "Writing Extended State information.. , Reading task description....
> after that a bunch of configure errors.  The ends with ERROR:
> live-initranfs was not installed.

Hi Steve,

Are you using aptitude or apt-get to create your NFS root (which is what
you do with fai-setup)? When you install FAI quickstart, it will come
with examples that default to aptitude. But aptitude is not installed by
default anymore in Ubuntu.

You have two options:
One option would be to rewrite the examples to use apt-get. To do this,
you open /etc/fai/NFSROOT and find the lines that start with 'PACKAGES
aptitude'. You should replace the word 'aptitude' with 'install'.
Another option would be to install aptitude. ('sudo apt-get install
aptitude') This is the option I chose.

Judging from the errors you get, I assume you've already installed
aptitude. Ubuntu 12.04 ships with aptitude 0.6.6-1ubuntu1, and that
version contains a bug. This is fixed in aptitude 0.6.7-1.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptitude/+bug/975793

I've installed aptitude 0.6.7-1 manually by manually downloading from
the Ubuntu repositories (I think). But now I can't seem to find that
version anymore... Weird.
Debian has it however: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/aptitude You
could try and download the Debian version. As Ubuntu is Debian based,
chances are good it'll work okay. I think you also need another package
'libboost-iostreams1.49.0' (see the dependency list of aptitude).
Download both packages, and install them with 'dpkg -i <pkg_name-here>'.

After you've rewrote the examples to apt-get (option one) or installed
aptitude 0.6.7-1 (option two), you should run fai-setup again to create
your NFS root. Continue with the steps in the FAI guide from there.

Please let us know if it worked out for you!

With kind regards,

Jurrie