HOSTNAME variable

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Jun 18 13:35:52 CEST 2012

> where is the hostname set during the FAI boot?

I ~think~ it's just the DHCP server that set's the name. The dhcp-client
can be told to ignore this setting. Then you would end up with whatever is
currently configured (Debian/Ubuntu: /etc/hostname, SuSE: /etc/HOSTNAME,
RedHat: cat /etc/sysconfig/network)

> where is the HOSTNAME variable set during the FAI boot?

It's a bash-ism. bash retrieve's the current hostname from the kernel and
defines the HOSTNAME variable. If the session ends (the script terminates)
then whatever you put there is forgotten so I advise against trying to fix
your problem here.

For (re-)setting the hostname you could either do a manual 'hostname
<hostname>' or perform a 'echo <hostname> > /proc/sys/kernel/hostname'.
(For updating the current shell's HOSTNAME variable you either need to
spawn a new shell process or manually update the HOSTNAME variable.)