FAI 3.4.7 is broken (?)

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Wed Jun 13 19:43:56 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I'm trying to use FAI 3.4.7, as included in Debian 6, and am having
problems with it.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm having issues with LVM being activated
on boot while it works for "n43w79" using 3.4.8. Another issue that I'm
having is that when /boot is on an MD mirror, GRUB does not run properly.

For example, this configuration does not work:

    disk_config disk1 fstabkey:uuid
    primary         -       512     -       -
    primary         -       32G     -       -
    primary         -       8G      -       -

    disk_config disk2 fstabkey:uuid
    primary         -       512     -       -
    primary         -       32G     -       -
    primary         -       8G      -       -

    disk_config raid
    raid1   /boot   disk1.1,disk2.1 ext3    rw,noexec,nodev
    raid1   /       disk1.2,disk2.2 ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
    raid1   swap    disk1.3,disk2.3 swap    rw

The installation goes through, but on reboot, the BIOS 'hangs' trying to
book off of the disks. GRUB never loads (no menu or anything).  The same
result if I get rid of /boot and have everything live in /.
scripts/GRUB_PC/10-setup returns with an exit code of 1:

    [...]
    ++ SWAPLIST=/dev/md2
    ++ BOOT_DEVICE=/dev/md0
    ++ ROOT_PARTITION=/dev/md1
    + '[' -z /dev/md0 ']'
    + chroot /target grub-mkdevicemap --no-floppy
    ++ chroot /target grub-probe -tdrive -d /dev/md0
    + GROOT='(md/0)'
    ++ echo '(md/0)'
    ++ sed s:md/:md:g
    + GROOT='(md0)'
    + chroot /target grub-install --no-floppy '(md0)'
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: unknown device number: 104, 17.
    ++ error=1
    [...]

What version of FAI should I be using, because the one in Debian 6 seems
to have all sort of problems for the things we want to do.

Thanks for any info.