Network interfaces file in NFSROOT

Jeffrey Stolte stolte at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 24 22:10:29 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:52:07PM -0800, David Dreezer wrote:
> Why an nfs hook?  The nfs root doesn't change install to install.
> I can't remember rebuilding my nfs root at all in the last months.
> Why not simply edit that into your $NFSROOT/etc/network/interfaces
> and be done with it?  It may well be ignored though, as you already
> have an interface before the NFSROOT is even mounted.
>
> Or
>
> Are you asking how to add this line to the finished server, as
> installed server by FAI?
>
> If that is the case I have in $FAICONFIG/scripts/debian/ a
> 20-interfaces script that creates the /etc/network/interfaces file.
> Cannot remember if that is default FAI or not as it has been a long
> while since we built our FAI install.  If it is not I can provide
> the for you to edit as you need.
>
> David Dreezer

We tend to rebuild our NFSROOT occasionally to keep it patched with
updated packages (especially linux kernel), etc.  The hook just makes
sure that the change is put back in place after the rebuild.  The file
does seem to be ignored, though, and as Michael pointed out, I may have
to modify the FAI installer startup script if I really want to do this.

Just to be clear, I wasn't asking about adding the line to the installed
machine.  We use the same approach that you mentioned for that (a
script to create the /etc/network/interfaces file).  Thanks.

Jeff Stolte