FAI and OPSI ?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Thu Feb 9 08:17:55 CET 2012

Am 07.02.2012 20:53, schrieb Sven Schumacher:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone out there having experience with integrating FAI within OPSI (www.opsi.org)? Any suggestions for that?
> I already have a running opsi-environment but want to get Dual-Boot Systems.
> So FAI shouldn't touch the Windows boot partition only shrink the 2nd partition when I Boot via pxe the fai-installation - but I would like to be able to install via FAI Linux-only systems,too. What would you suggest? Will it be possible to append a bootoption to the kernel of fai install to change the class from DUALBOOT to SINGLEBOOT ? or is there a better way to do that?
>
> Thanks for any tipps
>
> Sven
We are using FAI to install dualboot machines, even though we're not
using OPSI but Unattended to install windows on them. But for the FAI
part, this doesn't matter.
We do just like you suggested, append a class named "DUALBOOT" to these
machines, which will then use a different disk layout and preserve the
first primary partition. We are using fixed class assignments to
hostnames (vi $FAI_CONFIG_SRC/class/50-host-classes) instead of kernel
boot options. If you want to detect an existing windows installation and
create classes automatically, you can take a look at os-prober.
os-prober (at least in Debian/Ubuntu) also automatically takes care of
creating the necessary GRUB entry on the machines to boot windows, if
present.
We do not shrink partitions, however, so I cannot help you with that.
Since we're not storing any user data on local disks, todays disk sizes
are way bigger than we need, so we just install each OS on a 40-80GB
partition and leave the rest empty for future use.

Bye,
Andreas