status update Debian-LAN/wheezy

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Tue Aug 21 20:03:35 CEST 2012

Hi all,

the past days I have spent making DebianLAN [1] work on wheezy
out-of-the-box.  It is my pleasure to report:

	DebianLAN is _almost_ ready for wheezy!

First, thanks to everybody who made this possible.  There are two
issues for which I do not know a simple workaround [2]:

live-boot: #681579 [3] is fixed in sid now, and FAI works fine if
	   sid's packages are used.  However, fixing it seems to have
	   opened #685375 [4].  I hope we end up with live-boot
	   packages in wheezy that solve both bugs.

fai-cd:    does not work without applying a patch.  The issue has been
	   reported in #682796 [5], a simple patch is available and
	   has been tested.  This issue is not relevant for
	   'professional' users of FAI as they probably do not use
	   fai-cd.  However, it is very important for DebianLAN and
	   users that want to give FAI a try for the very first time.

FAI depends and builds on a lot of packages.  Therefore testing it is
rather hard in an early stage of development.  With that argument in
mind, I hope release managers and developers can be convinced to
prepare/allow fixed packages for wheezy.

Now the nice part:  DebianLAN on wheezy.  The following features have
been added to the system:

     * xfce4 desktop in the default installation
     * kerberized nfs4 (sec=krb5i) by default for the home directories
     * etckeeper and corresponding FAI-hook on the mainserver
     * FAI config space now in git repository to keep track of modifications
     * improved machine handling using the mainserver's ARP cache
     * a lot of minor fixes and improvements, c.f. the git repo [6].

Best Regards,

     Andi

[1] <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN>
[2] <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/bootstrap/wheezy>