Subject: Wheezy nfsroot / FAI 4.0.3

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Aug 21 15:10:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:17:06PM +0200, Sven Ulland wrote:
> On 08/20/2012 04:07 PM, Brian Kroth wrote:
> >All that said, I still had to apply this patch to get the aufs
> >mounting order stuff to work out correctly:
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=681579
>
> I worked around this by simply specifying mount option nfsvers=3 on
> in the pxe config (no authoritative sources of aufs/nfsv4/kernel bugs
> on this, sorry!). So the full line would be:
>
> label fai-generated
> kernel vmlinuz-3.2.0-3-amd64
> append initrd=initrd.img-3.2.0-3-amd64 ip=dhcp aufs
> root=nfs:1.1.1.1:/srv/fai/nfsroot-amd64-wheezy:nfsvers=3
> FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,reboot FAI_ACTION=install
>
> This and the fai-make-nfsroot patch in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=682013#20 seems to be
> all I needed to get a plain wheezy fai server installed and ready for
> installing wheezy clients.

Thanks for this suggestion. I started a fresh attempt, with
- nfs-common installed to the nfsroot (had been there for a while)
- live-boot 3.0~b1 replacing patched ~a38
- /etc/fai/fai/conf copied into nfsroot
- /usr/share/fai/subroutines patched to deliberately ignore errors
- your pxe config above

- and failed.
I had to use the following pxe config:

default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-install.64.wheezy
append initrd=initrd-install.64.wheezy ip=dhcp boot=live root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.100.200.98:/srv/fai/nfsroots/amd64.wheezy FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot FAI_ACTION=install

(no aufs; no nfsvers; boot=live seems to be essential while console=tty0
doesn't, with the exception of the server IP it's pretty close to my
previous squeeze setup)

and with some minor exceptions (one of my old scripts uses discover, which
isn't there anymore, and old, previously used disk layouts don't match so
the partition step ends with error 710 - stuff which I will look into later)

*it works*!

I don't like the IP address of the server in the pxe file, but things could
be worse.

Going to check the 71 lines of error.log now...

Steffen