Subject: Wheezy nfsroot / FAI 4.0.3

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Aug 23 08:35:44 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 03:10:11PM +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> Thanks for this suggestion. I started a fresh attempt, with
> - nfs-common installed to the nfsroot (had been there for a while)
> - live-boot 3.0~b1 replacing patched ~a38
> - /etc/fai/fai/conf copied into nfsroot
> - /usr/share/fai/subroutines patched to deliberately ignore errors
> - your pxe config above
>
> - and failed.
> I had to use the following pxe config:
>
> default fai-generated
>
> label fai-generated
> kernel vmlinuz-install.64.wheezy
> append initrd=initrd-install.64.wheezy ip=dhcp boot=live root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.100.200.98:/srv/fai/nfsroots/amd64.wheezy FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot FAI_ACTION=install
>
> (no aufs; no nfsvers; boot=live seems to be essential while console=tty0
> doesn't, with the exception of the server IP it's pretty close to my
> previous squeeze setup)
>
> *it works*!
>
> Going to check the 71 lines of error.log now...

I managed to get my error.log down to zero size, but there's still an
issue I had discovered before: "something" is blocking outside access
to the IPMI interface.
With a SOL session running, I wouldn't get beyond the very initial steps
of system initialisation (last things I saw were HD detection related),
so it probably isn't a FAI issue but something related to the initrd
and/or tg3 driver.
After rebooting into the default Wheezy kernel, I can access the IPMI
via the host interface, but not using lanplus. I cannot even ping the
IP (which has been properly set during FAi setup, and again by rc.local
- confirmed by "ipmitool lan print 1" and messages sent to syslog).

Anyone else seen this behaviour? Any hints how to fix this, if possible?