Subject: Wheezy nfsroot / FAI 4.0.3

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:07:44 CEST 2012

Steffen Grunewald <Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de> 2012-08-17 14:51:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 07:04:16PM +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:51:01AM +0200, Bjarne Bertilsson wrote:
>> >
>> > live-boot3.0(~a35-1) is broken on wheezy. If you run ipconfig in the
>> > initramfs shell the network will properly come up. There is
>> > a bug report on this somewhere but weren't able to find it just now
>> > with a quick search. I fixed it temporarily by pinning an earlier
>> > version of the package from snapshot.debian.org.
>>
>> I'm trying the two patches mentioned in bug #683240 now - as long as there's
>> no proper documentation for the live-boot -> dracut transition, I prefer to
>> stay on known terrain.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this involved patching the existing live-boot package (a38),
>> rebuilding the debs, and re-running the nfsroot build - which will not
>> finish in time before I have to leave. But I'm optimistic.
>
> I shouldn't have been too optimistic.
>
> While the network device config patches apparently worked, I'm still having
> major issues.
>
> - My PXE files read like this:
> label fai-generated
> kernel vmlinuz-install.64.wheezy
> append initrd=initrd-install.64.wheezy ip=dhcp \
> root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroots/amd64.wheezy \
> boot=live console=tty0 \
> FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install
> (of course, all the append stuff is in one line)

I'm not a fan of dracut so far, and we have lots of scripts around fai
built up around live-boot (or what was live-initramfs) already, so I'm
trying to avoid changing.

I found that with the 3.0~a35-1 version of live-boot I was able to get a
working network config if I also added the following:
live-netdev=eth0 ethdevice=eth0

I originally also had ip=eth0:dhcp, but either FAI or live-boot doesn't
parse that correctly (I forget which now), so now I just leave ip=dhcp.

All of that was originally necessary to work around hosts that had
multiple nics anyways, so for me it's required.

Another option which may or may not work is the pxelinux "IPAPPEND 2"
command to add info about which nic was used for pxeboot, but I didn't
have much luck with that setting.
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#IPAPPEND_flag_val_.5BPXELINUX_only.5D

I also found that having "dhcp" alone on a kernel boot line caused other
problems (again I forget whether that was in live-boot or fai now).
That's a live-boot flag for devs I think to force dhcp for debugging.

All that said, I still had to apply this patch to get the aufs mounting
order stuff to work out correctly:

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,
Brian