New issues with setup storage - disc too small

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Mar 17 23:46:36 CET 2011

> Success!

Cool!!

> I even ran it twice, just to be sure!
>
> The only issue that I see is that the error log is filled with entries like this. I'd assume that they are harmless warnings.
>
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: warn: Discarding improperly nested partition (hd1,msdos8,msdos1).
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: warn: Discarding improperly nested partition (hd1,msdos9,msdos1).
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: warn: Discarding improperly nested partition (hd0,msdos6,msdos1).
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: warn: Discarding improperly nested partition (hd0,msdos7,msdos1).
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: warn: Discarding improperly nested partition (hd0,msdos8,msdos1).

Hmm, indeed they are harmless, but still you might want to get rid of them. I do
hope that the sole cause of these is the previous partitioning tries. Therefore,
however, it might be necessary to zero the entire disk (or well, actually only
those positions around the previous beginning of sdb5 +/- 4kb maybe). You might
want to try to make dd do this for you (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb2 count=8
should do, but that's just off the top of my head) and then do another
reinstall.

> Thank you so much for your efforts!

You are welcome! Thank you very much for your help in debugging this!!! (And
sorry for breaking it in the first place...)

Best regards,