Software RAID + LVM2

Fredrik Eriksson fredrik.eriksson at axis.com
Tue Mar 15 13:20:36 CET 2011

On 03/14/11 18:33, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> I was trying to reproduce this situation over here for further testing. Using
> your config I first created the RAID array and the LVM on top of it. After a
> manual shutdown using vgchange -a n ; mdadm --stop --scan not even doing
> mdadm-startall would revive the RAID array. A reboot, however, did! I therefore
> wonder why the RAID array isn't running at the beginning of an install run, but
> mdadm-startall fixing the situation!?

Yep, our config/class/23-mdadm-startall script does just that

   #! /bin/bash

   mdadm-startall

   echo "MDADM-STARTALL"

and it works.

> I'm therefore a bit reluctant to adding mdadm-startall to setup-storage as it
> did not prove to be a reliable way of starting arrays on the one hand, and
> arrays being started anyway by a reboot on the other hand. I understand that my
> test environment only catches one of many cases, and even more it's squeeze
> already plus an ordinary system and no NFS root. Still, would you be fine with
> keeping the mdadm-startall in your local configs?

Perhaps it's some timing-issue? That the RAID need time to initiate
properly prior to setup-storage.
We're fine with that script, had just forgotten about it until I started
upgrading our production system and wondered if you had solved that in
any other way.

Kind regards
--
Fredrik