preserving partitions... again

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Mar 10 18:53:47 CET 2011

> >     > I think I have found another strange disk layout which setup-storage
> >     > cannot preserve. Here, the extended partition /dev/sda3 is physically
> >     > located between sda1 and sda2.
[...]
> Until now I had always dealt with systems where the recovery partition
> was sda4, but this particular laptop had it as sda2. Thus I had to
> squeeze sda3 physically in front of sda2. I am not asking FAI to be
> able to create such layouts, just being able to preserve what is
> already there is sufficient.

Just to let people know: in a private mail Toomas had later on provided a
fairly simple workaround that only required patching one line in setup-storage.

In 4.0~beta2+experimental60 I have now made the troublesome line guarded by a
check for preserve_*:all being in effect. If that is the case, no strict (but in
some sense stupid) layout checking will be performed (as the layout had
previously been valid anyway). Toomas, if you still have access to that
particular system, could you give the new experimental version a try? I'm a bit
too lazy to reproduce that over here :-)

Thanks a lot for debugging and all the info,