Introducing grepclass

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 12:47:06 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Michael Goetze <mgoetze at mgoetze.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> have you ever wondered, which files in your config space are all affected by
> a specific class?

Mainly also, "belong to".

> For instance if you want to duplicate that class as the
> starting point for a new class, or rename it, etc.? Well, I wrote a little
> script to do this job for me. Here's an example of how it's used:
>
> % grepclass DEBIAN

Cool stuff!

One feature that would be nice for things like packaing everything
that belongs to a single class, e.g. to share it with other people,
woulkd be to get the output in a more machine readable way, and
without the contitional stuff(which I'd recommend not to do as far as
anyhow possible, to ease the sharing thing).

hmm, o.k.,one can do it with cat -d: and grep -v conditional - so it
already is machine readable :)

What would be better in general for all these things would still be to
have the configspace redesigned, so everything belonging to a class is
in a single directory.
I've a detailed design document for this in the wiki, but did never
find time to start an implementation...

Henning