Software RAID + LVM2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Feb 10 16:40:47 CET 2011

> On 02/08/11 13:21, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> >I think this problem should be solvable by installing mdadm on the system,
> >because this only will trigger adding md support in the initrd. Mind adding
> >mdadm to a suitable package_config/* file and retry?
>
> We actually had that in our package_config/HD_SW_RAID, but missed
> that since we have other names for our test classes. Fixed that now,
> but it doesn't solve the issue since the only situation where we
> manage to preserve vg0-home and install a system it still doesn't
> manage to install GRUB.
>
> I've tried your other suggestions, but still no go.
>
> I'll send you a private mail with the fai.log from a failed
> installation with the class/ script you suggested.

I'll reply to your off-list message with further details, but the main point
seems to be that setup-storage will probably have to stop the SW-RAID array
before acting on its underlying devices. We already do the same for LVM using
vgchange, but it seems I never properly fixed this for SW-RAID :-(

Best regards,