Solved: Re: Moving from 32bit FAI server to a 64bit Server best practice?

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Fri Aug 26 17:39:07 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 13:42 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Andreas Schockenhoff [Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 01:02:41PM +0200]:
>
> > First Problem is a debootstrap/chroot problem. And I think that 64bit
> > bootstrap should not work in a 32bit environment.

I have successfully installed a 64-bit squeeze host off a 32-bit lenny
FAIserver via the following procedure:

* on an existing 64-bit etch (sic!) host upgraded debootstrap to squeeze
version (there are almost no dependencies, thus this is trivial).
* debootstrapped and packed a 64-bit chroot image using the Makefile
from FAI experimental (latest version available at that moment) under
"basefiles"
* Placed the resulting SQUEEZE64.tar.gz into basefiles/ of configuration
space
* Created a new nfsroot on the 32-bit FAI server which included a 64-bit
kernel and the corresponding aufs-modules (this is important!) and set
it to boot this kernel via TFTP.
* Installed the 64-bit host with this setup. The setup procedure used a
32-bit FAI on top of a 64-bit kernel on the target host, and the target
system was already fully 64-bit.

Additionally I also had to do some changes in the configuration-space
scripts, and manually rename devices in fstab (use UUID's instead of
sda*), and there was some fighting with grub_pc, but at the end of the
day I had a 64-bit squeeze system up and able to boot.

Regards,

Toomas