Solved: Re: Moving from 32bit FAI server to a 64bit Server best practice?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Aug 26 13:42:30 CEST 2011

* Andreas Schockenhoff [Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 01:02:41PM +0200]:

> First Problem is a debootstrap/chroot problem. And I think that 64bit
> bootstrap should not work in a 32bit environment.

> debootstrap --arch amd64 squeeze /tmp/t2/
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

> W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/t2 mount -t proc proc /proc

> gnomehost:/home/demo# chroot /tmp/t2
> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error

Well, it *can* not work that way since you need a 64bit kernel to
execute 64bit binaries. But if the target architecture does not
match the host architecture you could use debootstrap's '--foreign'
option to run the initial unpack phase of bootstrapping only (which
probably wouldn't help you in this specific situation, I'm just
addressing your "should not work").

regards,
-mika-
--