Solved: Re: Moving from 32bit FAI server to a 64bit Server best practice?

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Fri Aug 26 13:02:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.08.2011, 12:06 +0200 schrieb Michael Prokop:
> * Andreas Schockenhoff [Wed Aug 24, 2011 at 08:24:17PM +0200]:
>
> > FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch amd64 --exclude=info"
> > fails when debootstrap will make a chroot.
>
> > fai-cd
> > ISO image for amd64, md5sum (using FAI 3.4.8, kernel 2.6.32, size 601MB)
> > has problem with nfs after installing faiserver and reboot.
>
> Please provide the according error messages, otherwise it's wild
> guessing...
Sorry for confusing I would not solve the 2 problems that was only
what I have tried.

Moving from 32bit FAI server to a 64bit Server best practice was my
question.

Now I think setting up a original Debian 64 bit server from CD and
installing fai would be the best way. Because that is the normal way.

regards Andreas Schockenhoff

PS:
First Problem is a debootstrap/chroot problem. And I think that 64bit
bootstrap should not work in a 32bit environment.

debootstrap --arch amd64 squeeze /tmp/t2/
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/t2 mount -t proc proc /proc

gnomehost:/home/demo# chroot /tmp/t2
chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error

> fai-cd
> > ISO image for amd64, md5sum (using FAI 3.4.8, kernel 2.6.32)
> > has problem with nfs after installing faiserver and reboot.
Has not set the /etc/network/interfaces so NFS has problems.

So going this way does not work, the other way seams more work so if
someone had done it he can show me the right way.

Thanks for your help!