FAI installation instructions

jurgen.lamsens at telenet.be jurgen.lamsens at telenet.be
Wed May 5 17:20:58 CEST 2010

Hi Henning,

Thanks for your response. I answered below:

> It's hard to match everyone's situation with a single example. But
> that bing said, the Quickstart section of the FAI guide should do
> this.

> You might consider telling us what you think is missing there, and
> contribute changes to make this better instead of starting completely
> from scratch.

> But not problem, if you have a completely different idea of how a
> guide to FAI should look, you're free to use the wiki for whatever
> documentation you want to provide abput FAI.

First of all, I think you have some very good quality documentation there so thanks for that, but personally,
I think the FAI section "2. Quickstart - For the impatient user" is very short/brief and not noob friendly :-)
I think a new system administrator will rather profit from more clear and detailed step-by-step instructions, using a real life example, like at my blog.

But indeed, maybe it's better to post my personal story in a wiki.

> For advocating, you probably rather want to tell people about the good
> things they get if they start using FAI(and what's bad not doing so),
> rather than an instruction on how to use it, because that's the second
> step ;)

Good point there, but I want to be able to deploy my 3 OS'ses successfully, before FAI will be useful for me
and I can start telling people how good it is :-)

> Interesting...

> Still, what I do not exactly get what you are abpout to do is:

> * do you want to understand yourself how to accomplish the task
> described in this article?
> * do want top bring more people to use FAI?
> * do you just want to help documentation better because you are
> missing something in the existing docs (FAI Guide, Wiki)

What I exactly want, is making FAI install Ubuntu 8.04/10.04 and CentOS 5.4 on Dell PE1X50/RX10 hardware, and documenting my journey by
creating a step-by-step guide. I want to use Debian Lenny as installserver/mirrorhost (because I want FAI 3.5.5 and as far as I tested
that's not possible on Ubuntu 8.04 because of a sylinux-common dependeny problem). In other words; I want my colleague sitting next to
me to be able to setup the complete automatic provisioning system using my instructions at http://akoestica.be/blog/home/sysadmin/15-provisioning/49-installing-fai.

The problem is; I'm stuck at creating the "minimal Ubuntu system/debootstrap" base image. In other words: what is the next step after: "apt-get install debootstrap" ?

Thanks.
Jurgen Lamsens